Implant-supported dentures can be an outstanding alternative to traditional dentures. These restorations allow patients to experience improved aesthetics and function without pastes, adhesives, discomfort, or irritation. Dr. Michael J. Bixby of the Center for Advanced Dentistry in Red Bank, NJ, uses implant-supported dentures to deliver superior, personalized results. He can help you experience valuable, long-lasting benefits with this restorative solution.
Chew Confidently with Implant-Supported Dentures
Implant-supported Dentures Benefits
Many patients choose implant-supported dentures due to the many benefits they offer:
- Allow you to bite and chew food just as efficiently as you can with natural teeth
- Decrease the pain and irritation that traditional dentures can cause
- Help the jaw retain bone tissue for a comfortable fit that lasts
- Improve speech
These restorations allow patients to experience restored aesthetics and function without pastes, adhesives, discomfort, or irritation.
Implant-supported Dentures Candidacy
You are likely a candidate for implant-supported dentures if you are in good oral health and missing most or all teeth on one or both dental arches. You must have sufficient jawbone tissue to support the dental implants. If you have waited to address lost teeth, it is possible that your jaw has experienced too much atrophy to support implants. In this case, a bone grafting procedure may be necessary in order to restore your candidacy. Factors such as smoking and uncontrolled diabetes can also affect implant candidacy. During your initial consultation, we will review your health history and other factors to determine if implants are right for you.
How Implant-supported Dentures Are Placed
In general, you can expect that your implant-supported dentures procedure will involve:
- Initial consultation: During this visit, an exam will be conducted. X-rays and CT scans are used to determine if you have enough bone tissue to receive implants and to determine the best locations for your implants.
- First surgery: During the first surgery, the implants will be placed into your jawbone. After creating an incision, a hole will be made in the exposed bone and the implant will be inserted. The incision is then closed with sutures. This process is repeated for each implant. A waiting period of up to six months will be required before proceeding with the second surgery. During the waiting period, the implants will fuse with the jawbone during a process called osseointegration.
- Second Surgery: The second surgery involves the dentist exposing the tops of the implants and attaching abutments that will serve as the point of connection with your dentures. Once the gums have healed from the second surgery, we will take impressions that will guide technicians in creating your permanent denture.
- Delivery and attachment of permanent denture: Once the denture has been crafted, Dr. Bixby will attach it to your dental implants.
Contact Our Office Today
Dr. Bixby has over 20 years of dental experience and uses his expertise to create natural-looking and durable implant-supported dentures. We are proud to offer both CareCredit® and Chase Health Advance to help patients cover out-of-pocket costs. If you are interested in learning more about implant-supported dentures or another dental procedure, we encourage you to contact our office online or call (732) 224-1160 to schedule an appointment.