Porcelain Crowns Can Strengthen the Teeth and Improve the Smile
Tooth decay, tooth erosion, facial injury - these are just some of the many factors that can compromise the strength, function, and aesthetics of the teeth. When damage is minor, it is easy enough to repair it with dental bonding or a dental filling, but in more severe cases, the tooth requires repair and protection from all sides. Dental crowns repair heavily damaged teeth to restore oral functions, eliminate oral pain, and improve the appearance of the smile. Dental crowns are one of the most widely used restorative dental treatments because of their range of applications. However, for our Red Bank patients, the numerous porcelain crown benefits are what make this dental treatment so appealing.
Benefits of Porcelain Crowns
Porcelain crowns offer patients a great number of oral health and cosmetic benefits. These dental restorations improve the strength, function, and beauty of the smile and also protect the treated tooth (or teeth) so that patients are able to maintain these improvements. Below are just some of the many advantages that porcelain crowns offer to our patients:
- Durability: Dr. Bixby offers dental crowns that are fabricated using porcelain, a highly durable material that does not react to hot or cold temperatures (as metal does). Porcelain crowns can withstand the daily pressure of chewing and eating and should last for at least 10 to 15 years.
- Aesthetics: Porcelain crowns improve the appearance of the smile in two ways: first, they eliminate the cosmetic blemishes that are commonly associated with a damaged, decayed tooth. In addition, they are custom-matched to the color of the surrounding teeth, so they blend in naturally with the smile and will not discolor over time.
- Comfort: Porcelain dental crowns fit snugly over the treated tooth and feel like a natural part of the smile. Porcelain crowns can improve a patient’s ability to eat, chew, and speak, and will eliminate the pain or increased sensitivity that may occur as a result of damage or decay.
- Protection: Porcelain crowns offer a layer of protection to the underlying tooth and its roots. A porcelain crown blocks out harmful bacteria and can prevent further cases of decay and infection, which also avoids the need for more costly and invasive dental treatments.
- Ease of care: Porcelain crowns are extremely easy to care for. They can be brushed and flossed just like the natural teeth and are resistant to stains, which makes it easy to maintain their appearance as well.
- Safety: Porcelain crowns are completely safe and are free of all metals and mercury. This makes porcelain crowns an excellent option for patients who are allergic to metal crowns or are simply concerned with the components found in metal fillings.
Dr. Michael Bixby believes that all patients should experience the joys of a healthy and attractive smile. He offers a range of general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry treatments to help patients obtain and maintain that ideal smile. If you would like to learn more about our dental services contact us at your earliest convenience and a member of our staff will get back to you shortly. We look forward to hearing from you!