Benefits and Uses of Porcelain Veneers
Red Bank Porcelain Veneer Benefits
Although all dental materials have their advantages and disadvantages, porcelain is by far the best aesthetic choice for restorations. With porcelain veneers, patients can subtly hide any number of cosmetic imperfections while restoring the natural color and shape of their teeth. If you live in the Red Bank area and are looking to fix distracting flaws in your smile, consider the benefits and uses of porcelain veneers by Dr. Michael Bixby.
Individual Problems Fixed by Veneers
The number of veneers placed depends entirely on how many teeth are to be improved. When problems are limited to a single tooth, only one veneer is needed to cover that tooth. The extent of treatment is thus tailored to your specific cosmetic needs. Porcelain veneers are often used to address any of the following individual problems:
- Gapped teeth: A gap between front teeth can be a major distraction from the rest of your smile. To close this gap, veneers are placed on the adjacent teeth, extending them horizontally to fill the empty space.
- Intrinsic stains: Also called deep stains, this type of discoloration is most often isolated within individual teeth. Because they are located below the enamel, though, they are not easily removed. By covering a stained tooth with a veneer, it can once again achieve an even, natural color.
- Chipped teeth: Teeth that are chipped, cracked, or similarly damaged can be concealed by veneers, achieving a full, healthy appearance.
- Misshapen or short teeth: If a tooth is unusually formed or appears shorter than the rest of your teeth, its shape and size can be enhanced through a veneer.
Pervasive Problems Fixed by Veneers
Oftentimes, patients will use veneers to fix problems that are widespread among their teeth. By covering most or all of your visible teeth with porcelain veneers, you can achieve a brand new smile. Examples of such problems include:
- Extrinsic stains: Surface stains from food, drink, and possibly tobacco are often first treated through teeth whitening. However, if stains persist and patients desire a more effective solution, veneers can permanently brighten your smile.
- Crooked teeth: Most smiles are crooked to some degree, even if orthodontic treatment isn’t necessary. Veneers therefore offer a way to instantly produce straighter looking teeth.
- Erosion: Enamel may become eroded from bacteria, food and drink, a medical condition, or teeth grinding. No matter the cause, veneers can replace lost enamel and protect the soft inner tissues that would be otherwise exposed.
For complex or severe flaws, porcelain veneers may be utilized along with other cosmetic treatments for a complete smile makeover. Speak with your cosmetic dentist about the extent to which veneers may help you.
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
With porcelain veneers, patients gain a multitude of cosmetic benefits, including:
- Straighter teeth
- Whiter teeth
- Evenly spaced teeth
- Symmetrical teeth
- Full, proportionately sized teeth
Even when patients are primarily concerned with one of the above features, they often find that their smile benefits from overall improvement as well. In addition, porcelain is generally regarded as a superior dental material in both appearance and strength. By using porcelain for treatment, dentists are able to precisely match the color of your surrounding teeth. And because porcelain is almost identical to the texture of enamel, your smile will look as natural as ever.
In terms of the lifespan of veneers, porcelain is generally a durable material, able to last many years without wear or discoloration. With good hygiene and protection from damage, veneers can be expected to last upward of 15 years and potentially much longer.
Schedule a Consultation
To learn whether porcelain veneers can benefit you, schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Bixby. Your candidacy for treatment will be assessed, and alternative treatment options may be recommended alongside veneers or in lieu of them. Contact us today to set up an appointment.